STEMM Culture attended the recent Liquid Learning 2nd Women in STEM Leadership Summit in Sydney; an event for inspiring women!
Speakers included Professor Tanya Munro the Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice President, Research and Innovation and founding sponsor of SAGE, whose achievements include being a recipient of the Best Physics PhD in Australia, and the Eureka Prize, Dr Marie Dziadek the Chief Scientific Officer of the Garvan Institute of Medical Research and Karen Hughes the Director of Technology, Telstra. So many presentations were inspirational!Inspiring Women in STEMM Leadership Click To Tweet
Thank you to all speakers who shared personal insights, including what they learned during their vulnerable moments. Key take-aways emerged during the Summit:
- Australia is currently sitting below the benchmark of female STEMM graduates, but organisations with Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) and Male Champions of Change (MCC) programs are making inroads,
- Women who have succeeded in leadership positions in STEMM industries have bravely taken risks and stepped out of their comfort zone,
- Being confident is an ongoing challenge,
- Seek feedback: it is a gift to understanding the impact you are having on others,
- Sponsors and mentors are different – BOTH are important!
- Success is not a straight line,
- Being curious and crafting good questions are powerful skills,
- ‘Opt-out’ recruitment strategies assist women,
- The importance of diversity for innovation,
- Ask for direct and specific feedback during performance reviews,
- For retention of female leaders, resilience and determination are more important than talent in a STEMM environment!
- A focus on the importance of diversity within senior leadership teams has a positive influence that spreads throughout an organisation.
Following this two-day Summit we held a post-summit workshop on Leadership for Scientist, with the focus on inspiring women and men to be leaders in their STEMM roles.
For more information regarding STEMMCulture please contact us at email@example.com or our website http://www.stemmculture.com